Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Who taught him to read?

Nan and I were taking about our kids, and I began to brag about my little Trex (3 1/2) who loves to sound out every string of letters he comes across. Today he picked up an old candy dispenser, and after turning it over and over, announced that it says "eep" both ways. Nan was starting to be impressed, so she asked who taught him to read. To which I replied, "him own self."

She just about died laughing. My use of a colloquialism from my big friendly state seemed to fit the situation in her mind. I guess it's obvious that he must be rising above his roots on his own.

Her mirth made me think that she might be right. Rbiker (7) is still sounding out words to be able to read, and it is not uncommon for me to hear something like, "'p-a-n', 'pan' ? ... Oh payan!" Said in her most sincere southern drawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment